Updated, Aug 30 2014: Below I’ve listed some of my favorite talks or shows. You can find much more at Sonitus Sanctus, EWTN’s Audio Library, Discerning Hearts and Online Catholic Library. Moved the Scott Hahn links to a separate section toward the end of the list. Also see the page of Scott Hahn free audio Bible study courses. (Items at the end of this page aren’t free but aren’t expensive either.)
Free Catholic Audio, Various Speakers
- Had to remove a site (Advanced Christianity) because I found that they were promoting works by a “visionary” whose works have been condemned by the Church for many years. Didn’t see it listed on their front page. It was buried in the HTML source code keywords. Something told me to look there and I’m glad I did. I will NEVER knowingly promote ANYTHING that has been CONDEMNED by the Church. See this page by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ, in EWTN’s online document library: “Is the Poem of the Man-God Simply a Bad Novel?”
- Pope Benedict XVI has asked that the faithful study the Catechism and the Documents of Vatican II during this Year of Faith. Listen to or download the audio of Fr. John Trigilio’s EWTN show, Council of Faith. Read the documents online.
- Followingthetruth.com: Listen to Gary Zimak (full-time Catholic lay evangelist) via Blog Talk Radio or iTunes or RSS feed. Listen to various archived radio shows (from EWTN’s Son Rise Morning Show, Catholic Connection with Teresa Tomeo and others). During Lent (2012) Gary is leading a retreat based on the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola…via podcast! Even if you can’t make the retreat right now, you can still download the audio and save it for another time. I love this idea. Thanks, Gary!
- FultonSheen.com: A marvelous site devoted to the late Archbishop’s talks and writings. Listen and read for free online, download MP3’s for a fee. See site for details.
- Discerning Hearts: “dedicated to those on the discerning journey.” I found this yesterday and have spent hours reading, listening, downloading free MP3’s of talks by Mike Aquilina (you may have seen his many series on EWTN, especially the ones with Scott Hahn), Fr. Timothy Gallagher, OMV (you may have seen his series, Living the Discerning Life, on EWTN or his book, The Discernment of Spirits), Joseph Pearce (you’ve probably seen him on EWTN, too, talking about great Catholic writers like Shakespeare and Tolkien), and more. Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes. Highly recommended! (Though I do want to warn you, the site relies heavily on loads of lovely graphics and flash, and almost every page is loaded down with multiple audio files. Broadband and good hardware will really help surf this otherwise marvelous site.)
- Peter Kreeft Audio: Dr. Kreeft is a marvelous author, speaker, philosopher, theologian, and I’ll just bet he’s a wonderful teacher and maybe a pretty good surfer. (He’s slightly obsessed with surfing, about which I know nothing, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.)
- Institute of Catholic Culture: (Link fixed) Loads of free MP3 recordings of the really excellent programs the Institute offers free to the public. Check out their site for info on scheduled events. Highly recommended!
- Catholic apologetics MP3’s on a Biblical basis from the Bible Christian Society, John Martignoni’s site, filled with goodies and freebies. (MP3 download is a bit cumbersome but these are good talks.)
- John Paul II’s The Theology of the Body, the late Fr. Richard Hogan and Katrina Zeno, author of The Body Reveals God (which I have not read yet). Series. Also see Fr. Hogan’s book, The Theology of the Body in John Paul II: What It Is, Why It Matters (which I have read). Highly recommended (audio and book). I’m downloading but have not yet heard this series by Fr. Hogan: Faith for Today.
- Homilies by Fr. Frank Pavone on EWTN and around the country. Fr. Pavone is the National Director of Priests for Life and Gospel of Life Ministries (archived shows). Fr. Frank used to host Defending Life on EWTN (archived shows).
- On his show Gospel of Life Ministries, Fr. Frank talks with Wesley Smith, Part 1 (listen, watch), Part 2 (listen, watch). Wesley’s blog, podcast, podcast also at iTunes.
- St. Thomas Aquinas in Today’s World, Dr. Theresa Farnan. Series. Highly recommended.
- The Great Heresies, Fr. Charles Connor. Series.
- The Gospel of John, Tim Gray. Series. Great Bible study but painful to listen to student participants who didn’t study. Fortunately, Tim makes up for them. Almost. But, hey, it’s free. If I’d paid, I would’ve been more annoyed.
- The Way to Follow Jesus: The Gospel of Mark, Tim Gray. Series. Great Bible study but, as with the above, painful to listen to student participants who didn’t study. By this time I was definitely annoyed by the “students” but Tim is a great teacher.
- Adventures in Exodus, Tim Gray. Excellent Bible study. Series. Thankfully, Tim is standing in front of a class of adults this time and he does all the talking. No more, “Duh, I didden study, should I have?” Thank the Lord! Highly recommended.
- The Truth About Mary, a free CD by Patrick Madrid and Marcus Grodi. Because you know someone who thinks we worship Mary. We all know someone who thinks we worship Mary. Sigh.
- Lots of free Mary Foundation CD’s from CatholiCity.
- Priests for Life Podcasts.
- Podcasts of EWTN shows.
Scott Hahn Free Audio
- Our Father’s Plan, Jeff Cavins and Scott Hahn. Salvation History, the Bible and the Church. Series. Very highly recommended!
- An entire page of Scott Hahn audio links at Sonitus Sanctus. Anything by Scott Hahn is going to be good. One of my all-time favorite teachers, bar none. Very Highly Recommended! (Important note: I noticed that the links to the RealAudio files of Answering Common Objections on that Scott Hahn page don’t work. They pointed to EWTN’s library and apparently they’ve been removed. Here’s what I’ve had to do: Download the monster single MP3 file of Answering Common Objections. It’s a big file but it’s worth the time spent. Recommended.)
- Below is a link to Scott Hahn downloadable MP3’s for sale at Saint Joseph Communications. They’re not free, so I didn’t put them here. And I also have a page of links for Dr. Hahn’s free audio Bible study courses.
Not free but not expensive either!
- Scott Hahn MP3 downloads at Saint Joseph Communications. Scott Hahn and Saint Joseph Communications played a large part in my conversion. I listened to a ton of Dr. Hahn’s audio Bible study and apologetics courses. I used to listen to the cassettes in my car. Now they’re becoming available as downloadable MP3’s. A while back I downloaded the Gospel of John and the Romanism in Romans (the sound quality on that last title was awful!!) and I can hardly wait to get the rest of ‘em. Only money is standing in my way. ;) Variable audio quality aside, everything I’ve ever heard or read by Dr. Scott Hahn has been truly excellent and exhilarating. Thrice highly recommended! :)
- Lighthouse Catholic Media: I can’t praise this group highly enough. I have some of their CD’s (Scott Hahn, one about Mary and one about confession, Matt Kelly) which I picked up at a church supply store that carries some Catholic stuff. I got ‘em for $3 each cuz I bought three. I’ve listened to these many times. You can buy the same titles at the Lighthouse Catholic Media online store as CD’s for $3 or download the MP3’s for $2 each. Check out their CD Club and parish fundraiser program too. Let’s help spread the word about this great resource! Highly recommended!